Friday, March 25, 2011

Preschool Art Class: Week 2

First of all, HAPPY SPRING! Do you like the banner I made? The picture isn't the greatest but you get the idea. I just took my Cricut and cut the spring images out and then sewed them together. Easy Peasy. And super nice to have a fancy cutting machine to do most of the work...thanks Mom! Now onto other more important things like:Seriously, isn't she just adorable?!! She has actually been super sick this week with 104+ fevers continuously since Monday...even my nurse practitioner brain was getting freaked out by that. The good news though is that the fever broke this morning and she is doing alot better. Fussy yes, but I'd rather have that than lethargic and miserable. She is such a joy.


So you can imagine why I haven't blogged in a while then. Plus, it was my mom's birthday last weekend and we went up to celebrate and to watch my church's General Conference where our prophet and apostles speak to the entire church via internet/radio/tv. It was so awesome and I felt really uplifted.


In the meantime, we have continued our preschool art class, though more sporadically than I'd like. This is supposed to be a 4 week class...I think we'll easily spread it over 8 weeks. Oh well, that's life. At least we are doing it at all right?


The first week was officially about "color" and we had a few lessons to finish up before we moved onto the next week. We learned about cool and warm colors and then made this cool painting using acrylic paints and petroleum jelly. I helped with the overall butterfly shape, but Annie filled in the wings. We also had a mini art history lesson about Andy Warhol (since he used color so freely and imaginatively). I haven't really learned that much art history over my lifetime so this has been really interesting for me too. We painted our very own tomato soup can (just like Warhol) to cap off the lesson. Finally, we contrasted two different landscape painting, one painted with cool colors and one with warm colors. This is Annie's interpretation of a "landscape painting". I helped with the girl.Week 2 of the art class was focused on Line. We've only done two of the lessons so we still have a few more lessons to go. This was actually pretty fun--Annie had a friend over and they practiced dipping yarn in tempera paint and then making shapes with it on paper. It got a little messy near then end but it was a fun exercise. They also practiced drawing different lines--vertical, horizontal, crossed, wavy, zigzag, etc (I didn't take a picture of that). Lastly, we compared and contrasted two self portrait paintings--one by Van Gogh and one by Picasso. Annie then drew her very own "self portrait" using the media of her choice--chalk? Sure, less mess for Sean (they did this one Saturday afternoon when I was out).

This has been a great experience for Annie and I so far. Yes it is messy but I really enjoy taking the time to do these projects with Annie. I guess I just "accept the mess" and move on. I also usually do them during Liesl's nap if at all possible. I also like that it gives some structure to our days and Annie almost always asks each morning if we are going to have "school". Maybe she'll remember this, maybe she won't. Hopefully she'll mostly remember that her Mom wanted to be with her.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love that you do preschool art class with Annie. That is really awesome! When Jane is older I will have to pick your brain and steal some of your ideas from you!

Carlee said...

Liesl is so cute! You may be biased, but she really is adorable.