Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mommy School

Although I love summer and the lack of schedules/routines, I really felt we needed a little more structure come this fall--especially Annie. She previously was in preschool/daycare 2 days per week in Connecticut and loved it. She has really missed her "Abiyoyo"--the school where she attended. In addition, I also felt that my relationship with Annie could use some improvement. Not that things were bad, just that I thought they could be alot better. I was finding with two kids, I felt really stretched to my wits end at times and I was resorting to alot more frustration and impatience with Annie than I wanted. Anyways, I was reading a friend's blog one night (A Habitat for Humanity), and she had started holding "Mommy School" with her 4 year old this summer. She described some of the same feelings as me--wanting to have a better relationship with her son and some more structure. Every day during her younger son's nap, she would hold "Mommy School" for her son based on a weekly theme. She found that it made a huge difference in their relationship (read about it here). So I decided I would give it a whirl and see if it would help me and Annie also.
I'm two weeks into this "Mommy School" and I have found it to have made a HUGE difference in our relationship. She loves "Mommy School" and talks about it all the time. My first weekly theme was based on the book "Pinkalicious" by Victoria and Elizabeth Kann. In this story a little girl eats one to many pink cupcakes and subsequently turns pink. In order to turn back to normal she has to eat healthy green food. It is a cute book and is a favorite of Annie's. So I decided to go with it and see what I could come up with. The first day we read the story and then talked all about cooking. I checked out a bunch of kids cookbooks from the library and we looked through the recipes till we found something Annie wanted to make. We also talked about what a recipe was and was ingredients would go into cupcakes. We ended up making a "fruit pizza" which Annie loved (and tasted delicious and relatively healthy).


The next day we continued the cooking theme by talking about Healthy vs. Unhealthy Food. We again read a few books about eating healthy and then Annie cut out pictures of healthy and unhealthy food out of the grocery store ads. We had a snack of celery, peanut butter and raisins with a cold glass of milk. I love how she writes her name!!The next day we talked about other things we can do to stay healthy by reading books about healthy habits and the human body (Annie loves "The Magic School Bus inside the Human Body"). We then went for a walk around the neighborhood (to the library). I haven't held "mommy school" everyday since we have some other activities going on but overall, I like to hold it a few times a week. The best part about it has been that it's a special time for just Annie and I.


We also have started having "preschool" with a friend once a week for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day. We have music time/fingerplays, story time, an activity and a craft of some sort. Again this is centered around a theme. Annie kinda thinks of this as an extension of Mommy School but loves that she has a friend to play with too. Our theme this month has been The Harvest/Fall. For the first week we collected things outside like pinecones, straw, etc and then had the girls make a face with the items. Don't you just love their faces?

This last week we continued talking about The Harvest but extended it to talking about how seeds grow into plants and become the food we eat. I was responsible for the craft this week and we made cute apple bags for their library books or picking apples.


I'm trying to figure out what to do for Mommy school next week--any ideas? (I usually center it around a book and then work from there). Leave a comment below if you have one to suggest!

3 comments:

The Shuldbergs said...

this mommy school business is too cute! even though i don't have any kids, i think i know what you mean about feeling like you need to improve your relationship with your kids and do fun things for them. i feel i had a glimpse of that this summer when i was busy planning the wedding with mom and josh and ben got so neglected. i felt horrible! they just wanted to play and do fun things but i was always like, "sorry guys, i gotta get this done." there are always going to be things that need to get done though, so hopefully i can learn now that when i have kids i need to schedule at least a couple hours to just play and plan ahead to do fun activities with them. you are such a good mom jen! i hope that one day we live close so we can get our kids together and so that you and i can just go out and do fun things together too! or train for a triathalon together or something! miss you lots!

Lynnette and Paul said...

I know you are feeling like you are way too busy with two kiddos but I have to say I am way impressed with everything you seem to get done (i.e. mommy school, sewing Liesl's blessing dress, planning and making cute projects with Annie, blogging on a regular basis, etc.) You are amazing and Annie is a lucky gal to have such a fun mom (and Liesl too)! All your pics of Annie remind me of Eden...they are sure a lot alike :) It is such a great age.
Thanks for the yummy soup recipe. We love a good soup recipe so I will definitely be trying that one!!!

Cherie said...

Love the mommy school! Once our lives calm down (again) I'd love to do that too. We might be coming to a town near you soon if we can get our house sold.

My friend did a whole summer slew of activities based on books. I think she got the idea from another friend, but her ideas are fun and worth checking out. You can find the link to her blog on mine, "Jacksonians."