Sunday, February 21, 2010

Magnum Opus

Here it is folks, the big kahuna, the magnum opus, the pinnicle of Sean's graduate career: his Ph.D. dissertation. This is what Sean had to say about finishing:

"I started writing the dissertation in earnest around January 15. Now 35 sleepless days later it is finished. 261 pages. I'll never complain again about a 500 word essay. Not exactly in the clear yet (there are still two rounds of revision that I have to do) but I'm definately relieved to have something on paper...well a whole tree more like it. Now let me sleep."

This "edition" is the draft that gets sent to his graduation committee. They have 2 weeks to look it over and make suggestions for revisions. Sean gives his dissertation defense (a one hour talk to his committee, collegues, family and friends about what he has been doing for the past 5 1/2 years) on March 5th. He will get the revisions back from his committee at his defense and then has a week to make any final changes and submit a final copy of his dissertation to the Graduate School. Whew. So, we're not in the clear exactly but pretty close. It was nice that Sean was able to come to bed before 3am last night after not sleeping (literally) for about 3 weeks straight (or for more than a few hours each night). I don't think I will look back at this time with any degree of fondness, just gratitude that it is over.:)

Way to go Sean!

5 comments:

Cherie said...

WOW! Good job Sean! You must be so proud of him Jenny.

nathalia said...

Congrats!!! Oh la. Not looking forward to this step of the process, but I guess it's inevitable!

Seriously, congrats to both of you!!!

JoDee said...

Yay!!! So exciting to be close to the finish line. Congrats!

Vickie said...

Whew!
Do you know where you'll be moving after he graduates?

Lauren said...

Congratulations to you both. You'll have to take a relaxing vacation at some point!