Meanwhile, Annie continues to amaze us...and scare us too! I had class on Thursday so Sean watched Annie for me. Sean made the mistake of actually trying to go to the bathroom with the door closed and put Annie in the adjoining room thinking she would actually stay in the room while he was in the bathroom. He said he put her down in the den with some toys, went into the bathroom and shut the door and came out a few minutes later. Annie was no where to be seen--until he went around the corner and over to the stairs where he saw her little bum turning the corner UP THE STAIRS! In those few minutes, Annie had climbed up the stairs all by herself and gotten herself into our bedroom. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Well, once I ungripped my hands from Sean's neck and told him the cardinal rule of "never leave a child unattended", we both agreed we needed to get a gate at the bottom of the stairs ASAP. We have a gate at the top of the stairs but not at the bottom due to our banister. It is somewhat loose and therefore makes it difficult to put a pressure mounted gate there but we don't want to drill into the banister with a hardware mounted gate. Anyways, we're definately going to figure out a way to get a gate up this weekend since Annie's climbing could have been disastrous. I practically fainted when I found out. Now I see why people say it only gets harder when kids become mobile!
The infamous stairs--as you can see they are LONG and very steep. I shudder when I think what could have happened...thank goodness Annie is OKAY!
3 comments:
so sorry you are all so sick!!! that's miserable; totally been there...a few times!
sure glad annie didn't fall down the stairs!! whew! kaedance loves the stairs and has been climbing our full flight for months, so we're constantly following her up them. she loves them, so i'll bet annie finds them to be a great toy, too! whoever invented the safety gates are amazing!
I hope you guys are starting to feel better. Those stairs really are so scary. Mobility is not as fun as you at first think it is going to be! I love the Valentine's picks of Annie. What a doll.
Some friends of mine strapped a board to their banister and then drilled the gate hardware into the board to save the banister. Screw the straps into the board on the other side to make it so she can't undo it later (when you want to undo it eventually just take out the screws).
I'm thinking I'll probably do the same when Daniel gets ambitious with his mobility.
Post a Comment