Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Awaiting a Heart

Since I was little, I knew I had a cousin that had a funny heart. I never really knew what was wrong, just that my aunts and uncles talked about it being a miracle that he was still alive. Now, since becoming a nurse, I've become much more aware of what a miracle my cousin's life is. My cousin, Paul Cardall has tricuspid atresia and transposition of the great arteries. Basically my cousin doesn't have a valve between the right atrium of the heart and the right ventricle, and he also has his aorta connected to the right side of his heart (should be left) and his pulmonary artery is connected to the left side of his heart (should be right). It's honestly a miracle that he's alive. However, my cousin's health has been deteriorating for the several years and in August of this last year, he was placed on the heart transplant list. He is 35, married and has a little girl who is 3 years old. He and his wife are honestly the nicest people. Anyways, Christmas morning about midnight, he got a call that there was a heart for him. Once he gets a call that there's a heart, he has one hour to get to the hospital in Salt Lake from where ever he is. He arrived at the hospital, was prepped for surgery, started on light sedation and the cardiologist preforming the surgery started harvesting the donor heart. However, once the cardiologist actually got a chance to see the donor heart face to face, it was found to have aneurysm in the heart and after deliberating for about 20 minutes, the cardiologist decided to not use this heart afterall. He and his wife were sent home later that morning. I can only imagine what a roller coaster of emotions that must have been.
Last Sunday, my family fasted for Paul. No one knows the outcome of this but we all hope and pray that his life is extended. As I have learned more about his condition and particularly of their experience "almost getting a heart", I have been moved to tears several times. It really has helped bring into focus what the important things in life are. Not what things you have, not the clothes you where or the car you drive. You could take away all those things and I could still be just as happy. But take away my husband or daughter and I don't know how I could keep going. Please pray for my cousin and his sweet family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jenny! I can't imagine how devastating that must have been for your cousin and his wife to have to leave the hospital without the surgery taking place. My father has had two kidney transplants so I know how it feels to have to "wait" on the donor list for someone you love. I will keep your cousin in my prayers.
Love,
Jocelyn