So, I started trying out a new diaper about a week ago. It's called the "G diaper"--basically it's a flushable diaper. The outside is a cloth cover and then the inside has a snap in liner and a flushable insert. The insert is the only part you flush--the rest you can just wash. We have been considering switching to cloth diapers on and off for a couple of months but I have been hesitant because of all the work that I heard they are. I'm not a fan of washing my own cloth diapers (especially when our water is heated by electricity which is $$$) but I really hate the impact disposable diapers have on the environment (it takes like 500 years to break down a disposable). I also thought over the long run, cloth diapers would be more cost effective. So, I've been on the edge. Anyways, recently on Design Mom she talked about these new diapers and I thought they sounded really cool. I did a bunch of research online and decided to try them out. So far my review is great--they have worked wondefully and I really like that I can flush them and get that diaper stink out of my house! The insert basically works like a pad and is super absorbant. The don't leak and I can use the same cloth diaper over and over and just replace the insert. They were also not too bad on the wallet--I got a starter kit with two cloth diaper covers, 4 liners and 10 inserts for $22 and another package of 32 inserts for $12. I am not using these exclusively--I still use disposables 50/50 but I've used the gdiaper at night and it hasn't leaked also. They are a bit more work (you have to take the diaper to the toilet, rip the sides so the absorbant middle comes out and then flush it) but I think it is worth it. I haven't had a big poop in them yet but I'm sure we'll have one soon enough. I'll keep you posted on what I think. But for now, we're staying with them and will try to slowly phase out our disposables.
What do you guys think? Anyone tried them? What about cloth? Thoughts?
6 comments:
That makes Annie the most green, earth friendly baby I've ever met! I'm impressed that you guys are trying it. I think it's a great idea. In fact, Jared and I were at the dump early this morning, and as I looked at that huge landfill I just thought about how scarey it is--all this garbage we produce. I can't wait to hear more about your exprience w/ these diapers.
We also have the G diaper starter kit, but no kid yet! We're also considering using cloth diapers, and we have some, but my decision is mostly between laundering them myself or getting a diapering service. Glad we're not the first guinea pigs in this! I can't wait to have the baby to put in the diapers!!!
An interesting concept. I've toyed with the idea of cloth diapers for our 72-hour kit, so that **in a pinch** you could just rinse it out and slap that puppy back on the kiddo.
My friends that do cloth diapers absolutely love them. Just a few months ago I was talking to one gal who said she thinks they're easier than disposables. She likes that the cloth ones have snaps--no more diaper pins--and she always knows where to snap it up to fit her kids. She uses disposables occasionally (I think she said when she goes out she does that), but she struggles with the velcro-like tabs and never knows where to fasten them.
After dropping $80 today at CostCo on diapers for Daniel, Pull-Ups for David, and wipes for the pair, I think that G-diaper is a good consideration. I'm also tiring quickly of the smell of diapers in the house. (By the way, the Cottonelle flushable wipes are awesome for potty training. Effectiveness of wet-wipes, disposability of toilet paper.)
Let me know how you like those spiffy new diapers after a super-pooper!
The moms at David's Little Gym class were talking about organic cotton diapers and I heard one mention G-diapers. I asked her what she thought, and she said she liked them at first, but as her son got bigger and started having more voluminous urine, she was having problems with the g-diaper leaking. She only had 2 or 3 liners so she was having to wash them every other day, and eventually just worked her way back into disposables for the convenience. Her son is only something like 8 months, though.
She said she feels bad, like she's killing the environment, but that the g-diapers were a lot of work unless you had something like 10 g's and liners so you weren't doing so much laundry.
You know, I've heard getting a diaper service is not much more than the cost of disposables, and then you don't have to worry about washing your own cloth diapers. Anyway, just offering more feedback as I hear it.
update:
so we had a big pooper and my one complaint is that you need to use flushable wipes with them so you can flush the whole thing without having to take out the dirty wipes. I went and bought some "Kandoo" flushable wipes and it is much better now. I am planning on getting two more diapers soon too since only two diapers isn't quite enough. I think 4-6 is enough to last you without having to do laundry every other day.
Hey Jenny!
So, I've thought (and thought and thought) about this, and I decided to go for it once we have our own washer and dryer....which may not happen for this baby but the next (hypothetical) one. But I've heard these are super great! Way to go!
Post a Comment