For my brother's little girl, I made a laminated apron and oven mitt for her new toy kitchen (my parents give the grand-daughters a toy kitchen when they are around 1 - 2 years old). I got the laminated material at (shock) Joann's. I used some double fold bias tape in "shocking pink" for the sides and ties. I definately could have made my own bias tape but this was easier and worked just as well. I also added a bit of pink ric-rak to the top of the apron and the pocket. I used a child's apron we had here as a template for this apron and same for a child's size oven mitt we had.
For the oven mitt, I used some red and white polka-dot material I already had (not sure where I got it) and quilted it very simply. I have enough left over of both of the materials that I will be making another one of these again soon.
For our neighbor gifts, I decided to go with something simple and made some holiday goodies. I went over to Packaging Specialities in Redmond and got these cute take-out containers in kraft brown. I tied them up with a bit of red and white baker twine from Martha Stewart. I think I will buy a huge roll in the future since it looks so classic with just about anything.
Inside were homemade chocolate turtles and ginger-snaps. Yummy.
For my Dad, SEAN actually make this apron. We saw this apron online and thought it would be great for my Dad. He is a huge BYU fan. We cut the letters out of carstock on my Cricut (sidenote--it's the best invention for a crafter...I didn't think I would like it as much as I do but when my parents got it for me as a thank you gift for watching my younger brothers while they were in Hawaii for 10 days, I didn't say no. I use it all the time now.) We then used the cut out paper to act as a stencil for painting the lettering on. It says "NOTHING beats a Cougar". We learned some important details about stenciling while doing this project--first use freezer paper. My sister-in-law stenciled some ballerina silhouette shirts for my girls and they look WAY better. Second, use a good stencil brush (which we didn't have) and a LITTLE amount of paint. I would have liked it to look a bit better but my Dad loved it anyways (or at least told us he did).
I'll post some more pictures of my other gifts in a few days...including Liesl's Quiet Book--a two month project!!!
2 comments:
Can't beat a Cougar, but you can beat an egg!
these gifts are so cute jen! i love them and want to learn how to do it "myfels"! i'm sure adelaide loved her apron and oven mitt. the picture below of the girls in their christmas pjs is priceless too! oh man, i miss you guys so much! i noticed you called the other night but i can't call now cause we are about to start a movie but i will call you tomorrow! love, love, love you!
Post a Comment